Friday, August 1, 2008

Another stay in the NICU

Despite being a full term baby, we have again been admitted to the NICU. They did a chest x-ray last night and it looked "streaky", meaning he doesn't have the amount of surfactant he needs in his lungs. They put him on a C-PAP last night and to help keep the lungs open. His respirations are a little high and he's working more than he should for his air. He'll probably ween himself off the C-PAP, hopefully in just a couple of days. Then we have to figure out the eating thing, etc, etc. So we're looking at another week at least. This is just so unexpected. I though for sure we'd be able to take him home seeing as how this was my longest pregnancy, biggest baby, etc. It's very frustrating, to say the least. Even more frustrating is that because I thought we wouldn't have any problems, I delivered down in Murray at the new IMC. This is an hour away from home. If we were going to do a NICU stay we had planned on delivering at McKay so that I'd be closer to home.

I also have had a couple of complications that have made my recovery a little harder. Last night I hemorrhaged and lost quite a bit of blood. I had been feeling fine up until that point, but spent the next 12 hours flat on my back and unable to get up. They gave me 3 different types of pitocin to help my uterus cramp down, get back to it's normal size and stop bleeding. Along with that came lots of fluids, so today I look like I've gained 20 pounds. They just took the catheter out that I was on for almost 24 hours.

Chris has been great to me! He's really taken care of me and has been strong when I have really struggled. There's been a couple times when things were really bad, that I really didn't know because everyone else was so calm. They called a code blue on Kilun yesterday soon after he was born because he stopped breathing, turned blue and limp. I had no idea until after everything was fine again. Then when I hemorrhaged last night I didn't realize how big of a deal it was until my room was filled with nurses and the resident trying to get the bleeding taken care of. Through all of it Chris just held my hand and was there. He's been so sweet to open my butter when I haven't had any strength, change my gown, and even tried to change my sheets before a CNA stopped him. He did have to tell me "I told you so" today in regards to being in the NICU and we should have gone to McKay. haha I have to give him that one.


Sariah in Vancouver said...

Lissa, I'm so sorry for the complications but I'm so glad that it sounds like everything will be okay. You are all in my prayers! I hope you both recover to full health quickly! *big hugs*

Aaron.Shara.Abby said...

First off, Congratulations on the little one. He's cute! Second off, I hope everything goes okay. Sounds like little Kilun needed a little more baking in the oven :) I hope his lungs will soon be ready to breath on their own! Staying calm is not always easy, good job Chris! I hope you are able to get your strenth back too Melissa. We are thinking of you and praying for you!!

LeRoy & Anne Welling said...

Chris and Melissa,
What a cute baby!! We are sure sorry that there have been some complications! We will keep all of you in our prayers and hope everything goes Ok. We love you all!!
Roy and Anne